Clint Frazier?

Yardball85

Just now, Ruzious said:

Yes, as long as he's over the vertigo and eye issues.  As someone who's had vertigo, that's a scary problem.  

My wife went through that right after she got the covid vaccine.  Took her like 4-6 weeks to get past it.  It was awful.  I can’t imagine trying to play a sport while dealing with that.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure he’s that much different than Stewart.  I would take a chance if we didn’t have CO options but we do.

If they got rid of Mancini and could bring him on very cheaply, I may consider it then.

If we didn’t have Mancini it would be worth the $2.7mm he’s projected to make. I don’t know if anyone would take Mancini for his salary. 

Now that he's cleared waivers I don't think the ~$2.5M arb estimate prevails anymore.   I believe he is now the same as any street free agent like me.

This is also the fact pattern I am fuzzy on where say if you want Frazier for Galvis money (but not almost double that ballpark!), can you still offer him Arbitration in future years until he attains service time sufficient for free agency, or does the fact that all 30 terms have passed on him at 2022 arb terms means he effectively has been granted free agency early?

Because for me that would factor into his valuation if he is able to bounce back in 2022 for anyone.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Not sure he’s that much different than Stewart.  I would take a chance if we didn’t have CO options but we do.

If they got rid of Mancini and could bring him on very cheaply, I may consider it then.

Why does it matter if Frazier is cheap or not?  Our payroll is already super low.

1 hour ago, yark14 said:

Why does it matter if Frazier is cheap or not?  Our payroll is already super low.

SG is definitely NOT defending a low payroll, he is just stating a fact that there has been NO indication that Elias is going to spend this year to field a better product. That Elias is likely (IMO) at the mercy of John Angelos on payroll decisions, who has voiced the desire to move to Nashville in support of his wife's supposed country music career, and you have a team stuck in a cycle of another year like last year.

Would you rather have Fraser or Neustrom or Stowers? Stewart will probably be gone so it doesn’t matter who is or is not better than he is.

Rule Number 1 of FA acquisition:

”Be aware of why he was released”

Rule Number 2: 

“Do not sign him unless he is better than what you have.”

Hes not.

3 hours ago, yark14 said:

Who cares about it low payroll if you’re wasting money, and if you sign this guy you’re wasting money. I remember when there was song and dance at Camden chat when Pedro Alverez was signed for “only” $6 million. I wouldn’t have wanted Pedro Alvarez for free, and I don’t want Frasier. Let’s work with our own guys or get somebody good.

10 hours ago, Philip said:

Who cares about it low payroll if you’re wasting money, and if you sign this guy you’re wasting money. I remember when there was song and dance at Camden chat when Pedro Alverez was signed for “only” $6 million. I wouldn’t have wanted Pedro Alvarez for free, and I don’t want Frasier. Let’s work with our own guys or get somebody good.

To be clear, I don't want Frazier.  He doesn't add anything to our team.  But I do want us to spend money where it is beneficial.

If Frazier played 2B, SS or 3B we should be all over a player like that...low risk with at least a potential for a reward. As others have pointed out his position makes him less desirable. If Elias is confident in knowing why he was so bad last year and feeling he is over it (or we could help him over it), I don't see the harm in bringing him in, but likewise, given our depth in the OF, I don't see it as a missed opportunity if we don't. 

Given the limited information that I know (and obviously Elias would have access to more info, particularly health related), I would take him on the team over Stewart and probably Neustrom, but I think I would prefer Santander and Stowers (though later in the year) over him. So, for him, he'd potentially take Stewart's roster spot which is a bit volatile anyway.